Fondant: Friend or Foe?

At 13, the ever enthusiastic baker that I was, thought I would take it upon myself to make my cousin's birthday cake. I decided that for any boy that the most appropriate cake would be one shaped like a football. So I began by baking my mum's go to butter cake recipe. As it came out of the oven, I doused it in butter, an idea put forward by my mum who clearly thought she was giving Nigella Lawson a run for her money with these little hacks. As I rolled out shop bought white icing, I found it to stick to the counter and tear as I lifted it...There begun my tumultuous relationship with fondant. I can't deny that I am jumping for joy at the fact photos weren't so popular at that time, so there is no photograph to show you all how monstrous it truly was. What I did discover several years later was that fondant will actually become one of my most favourite items to have in my cupboard.

So here is part 1 of my guide to hopefully make it simpler for you!

Homemade vs Bought
I can't lie that I am a fan of bought fondant. It is there is a packet, all ready and coloured for you but if you are willing to go through the effort that it takes to make homemade fondant, definitely check out biggerbolderbaking.com! My current favourites are:

1) Covering large areas:
The Sugar Paste- The Cake decorating company

I used this on my very first wedding cake. It comes with a handy leaflet about how much to use for different size cakes. Surprisingly, it is very accurate! It covers really well, and the product has minimal elephant skin! The best thing about this is that it rolls very thin without tearing and tastes delicious.

2) Small White detailing or cupcake toppers:
Couture- Cake stuff

This is a new brand that I have started using. I am yet to try it on larger surfaces, but recently used it on a batch of domed cupcake toppers. It is easy to roll and doesn't tear easily when handled. I left them out in the open overnight and they dried up firm. I didn't experience elephant skin on the batch that I had tried it on, it was smooth to roll and withstood warm temperatures. 

3) Coloured details: 
Renshaw Ready to Roll- The vanilla valley

Primarily this product stands out for the range of colours that is offered. I have made several little details with this fondant and each time they turn out perfectly! This product is very cheap at only £1.20 per 250g! Again, it is easy to roll and leaves a smooth finish. It can be handled exactly like play-doh and you don't need to douse it in cornflour.



Lots of Love,
Kaya xo












0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

// Kaya 20 London Self proclaimed foodie with a travel bug Instagram: kayagm (#bakedbykaya)