5 Reasons why you should try baking...

Firstly, sorry for the lack of posts! I'd like to pretend I was busy putting together recipes...but unfortunately I was just trying to recover from my Christmas food coma and suffering holiday blues.. #sorrynotsorry
Secondly, happy new year (+2 months) !! I hope 2017 is filled with a many more exciting bakes and hopefully more (witty) blog posts..
Having started this blog, I haven't really sat and thought about the question: why baking? This is fairly odd considering it is probably one of the first things people ask me when they find out that I aspire to be Mary Berry.. So I thought it is probably time to write these down in a clear bullet pointed list- much like any other aspect of my life. So here goes.. Here are the reasons why I love baking and why I think 2017 is definitely the year for you to finally open the oven door for something other than heating up pizza and oven chips.

1) Baking masks the smell of curry at home 
(substitute with a scenario that may be more applicable to you) 
Have you ever walked past a bakery and thought that's what heaven smells like? Yeah, well I decided I was going to recreate it at home. From the exotic rose scented cupcakes to the more decadent chocolate fudge cake, is there anything better? Of the five senses, smell is the most 'direct': when we smell the aroma of a delicious chocolate fudge cake, the odorous molecules reach the nasal cavity and transmit a message to a specific area of our brain  the smell tells us that it's time to eat. Dr Alan Hirsch, found that smells produced by baking have a particularly powerful effect on memory (see below). It is considered the number one odour.
If that doesn't make you want to bake, then fear not, there are 4 more reasons coming..

2) Fresh Taste > Taste of store bought items
Even when you go to the shops, you'd be kidding yourself if you say you don't stop by the bakery counter. After doing so I often used to walk down the confectionery aisle in search for a cheaper alternative (or so I thought). If you don't have a bakery counter at your local store then I just don't have any other words. I for one love the fact that you can taste the goods as you bake and adapt it to suit you.
Looking back at this, this bullet point seems pretty self explanatory, but again try it yourself and taste the difference.

3) Science vs Magic
Baking is a science with an element of magic. My very first science experiment at the age of 6 was to make an egg sandwich- no joke.. But if you think about it any form of cooking is a science, but baking is a whole new realm in itself. Let's start of with the ingredients in itself- the reaction that makes eggs and sugar come together to make white fluffy meringues, doesn't seem like it should be the case but add some heat and a sprinkle of fairy dust (glitter) and you end up with perfect sparkly white mounds. Never does this cease to amaze me, I still sit by the oven and watch my cakes rise/ occasionally fall flat.

4) It's Cheap (excluding the value option..)
Okay, you don't need to double check you read this right. I promise, baking cookies at home will work out cheaper than buying them. If you don't believe me then stay tuned for my new challenge post where I will show you how to create store-bought favourites at home for cheaper.

5) Last but not least it's a celebration
I can make cake or tarts or any other baked good any day of the week and immediately it will start to feel as though its a celebration. Each bake has its own special meaning and that's what makes it a celebration- just invite a few of your favourites and share the magic with them.


Hopefully, you would have already put your oven mitts on whilst reading this- so I'll give you one piece of advice that my mum gave me when I bake: Clean up after yourself because I don't want a messy kitchen  Remember, just put some love into it and everyone will appreciate it..

Lots of love
Kaya x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

// Kaya 20 London Self proclaimed foodie with a travel bug Instagram: kayagm (#bakedbykaya)